Friday, September 7, 2018

Hauling out

Yesterday I motored the couple of miles over to Harbor Town Marina to put the boat on the hard and winterize it for the coming season. Hauling Onapua has become old hat for me and for the first time, I didn't record the event on video and wouldn't you know it, the boat slipped off her sling. I have always thought it strange that they required me to remove my forestay which I had never done before at any other haul out yard. Turns out that they had me going in the wrong way. The boat needs to be stern first into the hoist. Anyway we turned the boat around and it worked much better. I did have some damage to the Port bow caprail when the boat fell into the water but otherwise I go off lightly.
So she is back to the same place as last year but turned around the other way.
I mixed up a batch of fibreglass to fix the cap rail and then I ran 4 gallons of potable antifreeze through the engine.

This year I am trying a different method for my boat cover. Instead of buying just one tarp for the whole boat, I have bought four. One for the bow, 2 for port and starboard and one for the stern. Also I bought 12oz canvas tarps from tractor supply that look like they have a lot of strength to them. Mother nature is probably laughing at my attempt but it is worth a shot. I am halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.