Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mathews, VA

This sleepy place without a traffic light, was inhabited back in the early 1600's when hogsheads of tobacco were loaded on English ships from canoes like this remnant recently dug up out of the mud in North River.
The canoe lies inside Mathew's visitors center alongside the Thomas James Store, a National Historic Site, built way back in 1820.
The town serves as the seat for the 9000 people of Mathews county, the second smallest county in Virginia.
Local residents take care of their homes like this charmer on Church Street, downtown.


No comments:

Post a Comment